Over The Counter Products
Many minor ailments can be treated at home with the support of your local pharmacy if needed. Over the counter products for self care are things like pain relief and cough and cold remedies, and these items can be bought from pharmacies and supermarkets without a prescription.
By spending less on prescribing these easily purchased medicines, the NHS in Bexley can spend this money on other NHS treatments.
For advice and information on what to do when illness strikes, including when to self care, visit South East London ICB's website.
This practice is unable to routinely prescribe medicines for self-care that can be bought readily from supermarkets and pharmacies without a prescription.
Thank you for your understanding.
- Acne creams
- Anti-diarrhoeal medication for short-term use
- Anti-fungal treatment for short-term minor ailments
- Baby colic treatment
- Camouflage creams
- Cold sore creams
- Complementary and alternative preparations
- Cough and cold remedies
- Ear wax removers
- Eye drops
- Gluten-free products
- Head lice and scabies treatment
- Haemorrhoidal preparations for short-term use
- Indigestion remedies
- Infant formulas (lactosefree, soya-based and ‘staydown’ anti-reflux baby milks)
- Laxatives for short-term use
- Mouthwashes and mouth ulcer treatment
- Nappy rash cream
- Painkillers for short-term pain control e.g. headaches
- Hay fever treatments
- Sun creams
- Threadworm treatment
- Topical steroids for short term use for bites, stings or mild dermatitis
- Vitamins and supplements
- Warts and verruca treatment